It’s a way to tell people: if we do it, then why don’t you, come on!Our perfs are key moments where the audience is invited to ogle the keyhole, with constants:
– They take place over a short period of time, about 15 minutes.
– Something happens, on interaction or not with the public.
– They contain material constraints, innuits’ mask reducing visibility, asymmetric shoes for ssayan destabilizing her movement and giving an unbalanced posture, etc.
– All are based on a conceptual conductive line (conceiving in advance, depending on the topic, context, what we mean…) from which we develop an improvisation. This ensues that some perfs are more involved (for example MIAU), others have a more absurd universe, voluntarily (for instance: Horsy Motors, The drunken bubbles)
– Performances increasingly occur on music, sometimes with live musicians (Horsy Motors, Voodooloop).
– They sometimes involve participating artists (drawing artists in Mangaga, Captain Xena in The conjugated duty).
The notion of performance is not bound by the record to beat, by the physical feat or competition, but rather by the idea of transcendence, personal limits unleashing all the fantasy.
The objective is never to shock or to make people uncomfortable.
Perfs are in the nude according to context, innuit & ssayan can also wear zentai (skin-tight garments) when children and families are presents.
Although this is a matter of culture, nudity is not felt everywhere as a taboo or a negative thing (look at the Horsy Motors performance in Amsterdam).But… why do we perform?
Because it enjoys us, it is a way to lighten up in a sharing with the others (artists or not), to give a more tangible, a more communicable form to our fantasy and eccentricity: to pinch ourselves to make sure we didn’t dream!
Perfs: with or without an epidural?
The most interesting in performances, is that they provoke reactions and projections of all kinds: people see what they want (or can) to see, depending on their experience, their history.
Some get angry, react aggressively, for example they see sexism where we have never considered it.
Others say they are touched by a gravity in the characters of innuit & ssayan, as if they were looking for something very old and regressive, in the hidden layers of themselves.
Some others are simply welcoming and enthusiastic.
Therefore, a performance can also be experienced in the pain, returning everyone to forgotten recesses of themselves…
In general, there is always someone that comes to us with questions.
People always try to make a sense of, they need to understand. What interests us, it’s precisely to discover, through people, what we can understand and grasp!
In our performative work, if a theme is considered, this is never a definitive and frozen line of reasoning to understand the performance. This approach ensures the freedom to think, to look, for each and everyone.
We are satisfied if the performance moves them, for better or worse, if it made them speak or think over.
Fortunately, it is rare that our performances produce indifference.
Let’s talk your imaginary. You want to see something? Well… Do it!